Thursday 30 April 2009

Brazil and Brasil



For many times I got really angry with the BraZilian stereotype... and I would like to make at least people around me, to understand that the Brazil with Z is not the same Brasil with S. Mostly all the time the letter Z informs us that people are talk about one country which they do not live in or do not know very well. And that means a lot of mistakes and wrong stereotype as Samba, Rio, sun, carnival, black people and football everyday for whole year.

How many people know that we have also cold weather, 0 ºC and snow sometimes? That we have 5.561 cities and only few of them has beach? That means people do not use bikini all the time. Does it people knows that we all are not black? Only 6,3% Brazilian are black. The reason people believe in that is because of the black people on Carnival parade? Or maybe the many famous football players or the terrible movies like City of God? We are mixed with other bloods, as Portugal, Africa, Italy, Spain, Germany, Japan, China, Arabs Lebanon, so how could we be all blacks? Does the people around the world knows that even we have the biggest forest in the globe we do not live there inside and snakes, monkeys and elephants are not walking normally on the streets? We have some Indians living there with totally pure culture but some others has also internet? People Knows we have so many different culture, people, music, food, dance, religion and so on among the 27 states?

Some people get surprised after see a whole show of Alo Alo because I, Marcio Slam, more than a choreographer I am a person totally in love with Brazilian culture and do not want to give up to show in my performances with my group that we are samba, but not samba only, we are Brasil with S. That´s why sometimes I got angry with questions like: OH, you are Brazilian and how is possible you are not black? Oh, Brazilian... samba, sex, Ronado... How is possible you do not like football? I really believe that nowadays information is very available for most of the people, but I know not everybody has to know all about one country that they do not belong to, they do not need to know that the capital of Brasil is not Rio de Janeiro. That´s why I think is my mission as an artist living abroad and using the culture of my country, to show the people more than people who write Brazil with Z is showing. My performances are not only about sexy black dances, they are also blond, white, green, orange... it´s about culture.


No comments: